Ranking higher in your local area requires you to let search engines know more about what you do.
Search engines take into account everything, ranging from the type of business you provide for the physical location and hours of your business.
Just try going to a search engine, such as Google, and type in whatever product you like. You will be amazed to know that most of the results delivered on the first page are located within or around your city.
It happens because Google knows the different businesses in your location, and fetches them when searched from a particular location.
Getting on the local search engine list requires more than just SEO. Your search engine optimization needs to be localized.
Here are a couple of tips to get your website on the local search engines:
1. Claim your Google My Business page
First thing first! Claim your Google My Business page if you haven’t already. There are tons of things that explain the process; however instead of getting into details, just know these tips:
- Create a unique, long description that includes links and formatted correctly.
- Assign the right category for your business.
- Add a local phone number and add as many photos as you can.
- Add the address of your business similar to the one on your website and local directories.
- Upload a quality cover photo and profile image.
- Add the closing and opening time of your business.
- Get reviews from customers.
2. Mobile & Desktop Friendly Website
Make your website user-friendly on both devices (Desktop & Mobile). Also, take care of your website page load speed on both devices.
Use GTmetrix or PageSpeed Insights to know your website speed. Why you need to do that is because if your website isn’t mobile friendly then your website will receive less traffic as people get irritated, and go away by viewing your unorganized website’s content.
So make it friendly.
In addition, ensure that your web pages are loaded fast as it helps users to quickly gaze for the information they are looking for.
3. Make Use Of Title & Meta Description Tags
Don’t forget to use title and meta description tags.
Though these meta tags do not have a direct bearing when Google ranks and indexes pages, these tags still help in providing a short description of a business, letting both visitors and search engines know what to expect.
4. Consistent NAP: Name, Address & Phone Number
Consistency is important, which will make your business stand on the top pages of search engines.
Ensure that your business has a full NAP on your complete website. Also, make sure that the addressing you are using on Google pages is similar in format and details on your website.
You can also use Schema.org. Get the benefit of Schema by putting it in the below HTML code.
It helps to represent your web page in SERPs as more attractive or best way.
<div itemscope itemtype=”Book – schema.org”>
<span itemprop=”name”> XYZ Things </span>
5. High-Quality Links
Create good and high-quality backlinks to your website. It will help a user to easily find about your business from several places. Points you should keep in mind.
- Avoid creating backlinks of your website on low authority sites.
- Don’t write content just for SEO perspective. Write to provide the best information.
- Try using short videos, Infographics, Article, Forum, Question & Answering websites, Guest Post etc.
6. Add Local SEO Plugin By Yoast
With an average rating of 4.7 and more than 15 million downloads, WordPress SEO by Yoast is a popular SEO plugin that has extensions specifically designed for local searches.
This plugin sends out the information to Google that your website needs to rank higher in your area. It tells the location, name, type and the services of your business.
It offers another great feature that allows you to localize your contact page by inserting your operating hours, company address, a store locator, and Google Maps. This plugin costs depending on the number of websites you have for your business. Starting from $69!
7. Technical Assessment, Recommendations and Corrections
Search engines don’t see what we do – they see code and structure.
It’s vital that your website is built according to search engine guidelines, otherwise, you run the risk of being passed over.
Have your team run a complete technical audit of your website to ensure the setup is done properly, and in the favor of the search engines.
This will allow a website to get indexed and rank higher in local searches.
8. List Your Website On Popular Business Directories and Local Directories
Create your business pages on several popular businesses listing websites as Hotfrog, Aabaco, Manta, Citysearch, Yelp, Houzz etc. Points you should keep in mind.
- Put your local address including streets, City, Zip etc.
- The phone number should be active and responding.
- Opening hours.
- Link your website and social media platforms.
- Ask your clients to review your business.
- Keep posting your latest business news, events, any changes, offers etc.
- Always provide a clear business logo to any listing or some images of your business.
9. Build Local Citations For Your Business
This goes hand in hand with Step 8.
What is a Local Citation?
A Local Citation is simply an online mention of the name, address, and phone number(NAP) for a local business. Basically, Local Citations can be found on local business directories, on relevant websites or blogs that promote local events.
Citations play an important role and is a key factor in improving your local search results. They help users to discover local businesses.
How To Build Citations : Local Citation Building Service
There are reputed SEO companies who know how to build citations. They know how to rank in google 3 pack(Top 3 positions of Google Local Search business listings).
A Local Citation Builder Service like BrightLocal can be immense help. They know how to build citations for a business. They also will do services like maintaining a correct NAP across all your local citations listings.
10. Get On Social Media Platform
Create your Social Media Pages on various social media platforms As Facebook, G+, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube etc. Points you should keep in mind are:
- Create your pages in the specific industry where your business belongs.
- Mention your proper address, Opening hours, functions, website etc.
- Make your Social Media pages engaging in regular posting.
- Join groups or share the information avoid selling.
- Share your posts to different groups.
- Ask your users or clients to review your social media pages.
- Keep posting short attractive videos, you can also link your YouTube channel to FB page.
Optimizing a website for a local search on the search engines can help bringing traffic, that can be converted into potential customers.
It is true, especially when you have a local business. As a website owner, you would want to be listed when users perform a research locally and globally.
These practices will get you to the high ranking on local searches at the least!
Brandon Graves is a famous expert on WordPress website design and theme customization. He likes to write about WordPress and SEO services like to how converting html to WordPress website, cms customization, website SEO analysis etc. To get more updates from him, follow on Facebook.