With the advent of technology, today most companies operate on a system called cloud computing and cloud storage/hostage.
What is Cloud Hosting?
Cloud computing and hosting is nothing but an on-demand availability of computer system resources, especially when it comes to data storage and a lot of options for computing power without having to manage anything manually.
Today, with most companies operating on the fact that they store data and for them or in fact any company the thing that matters the most is the data that they store. With most MNCs now switching to the system so as to save on the total operating costs, cloud hosting has suddenly become the in thing.
So much so that in 2010 IBM conducted a survey of 1,500 CEOs worldwide who revealed that 80% of the companies would switch to the cloud hosting system to improve the efficiency of the organizations.
So, exactly what has changed with the entry of the cloud hosting system?
A lot is the answer…
Earlier all the companies used to store all their software and hardware data on the premise and for that, they needed to pay a hefty amount. With the cloud taking over, today companies can lease their digital assets and store them somewhere where it is safe and accessible.
For those of you who are new to the world of the cloud, let us tell you the different types of cloud that are available today. Please note that based on your requirement and data storage needs you can opt to select any of the cloud storage options.
The three basic types of cloud hosting
- Infrastructure as a Service (Iaas) : the most basic format this has a server or a group of servers in the cloud with a bandwidth of storage capacities.
- Platform as a Service (PaaS) : A platform that can be used by companies to create and develop their own custom applications and write software programs that integrate with their current operating systems. PaaS is the smallest segment of cloud computing that is present in the market.
- Software as a Service (SaaS): the largest and the most mature part of the cloud is the SaaS.
So, what are some of the basic things that you didn’t know about cloud hosting? As much as it is the talk of the town, there are tons of pros and cons attached to the application of it.
We will discuss a bit of both.
Advantages of Cloud Hosting
- Minimum expenses on the IT staff: Earlier offices needed to have a separate team to manage all the hardware and software issues, but with everything now getting stored on the cloud and easy access, companies don’t need to spend extra on maintaining of an IT team. You just need a basic skeleton staff that understands the operation of the cloud system and knows how to manage it well.
- The cost factor : You no longer need to invest a huge chunk of money to buy services that you need just for a few months of the year and during the peak season. You can start with the basic cloud model and as and when the need fluctuates you can switch to the more planned and extensive cloud plan like the SaaS. This will end up saving big time money for you.
- Hard to forget and easy to recover : The best part of the cloud is that it is very easy to back up and store all the vital data that is crucial for your business operations. You can just keep storing everything on the cloud and recover the files as and when you need them.
Disadvantages of Cloud Hosting
- There is never a Cntrl+Alt+Del option : As discussed earlier the cloud never forgets. Whatever data you work on is always just there. Even if you delete some data, it might just get deleted from your system but invariably it is very much still there on the cloud. So if you have things that you need to hide or forget can still be retraced and retracted via the cloud.
- You still need an IT manager : Most organizations feel that with everything getting stored on the cloud host, there is no need to keep a project manager or an IT manager. This is probably the biggest mistake that most people make. With all that data and information getting stored up somewhere, people still have the need of a system that can work on the cloud hosting system as an architect and give them things in a structured and planned way.
- Serve the server : So, the cloud is nothing else but a bunch of servers stored somewhere we can’t see or find it right? Having said that, imagine this! People all across the globe storing and piling up loads of data on the server, and though the bandwidth of the server can be increased keeping in mind the data storage needs, at the end of the day it is still just a device right? One needs to be extra careful of the type of server that they use while operating the cloud hosting. If there is the slightest glitch in the cloud server, one may end up losing all that data that was stored in it.
Just like everything else in life, technology and the cloud hosting part of technology also comes with packages of both good and not so good.
Things have definitely gotten easy with technology scaling new heights; however, it is very important to keep in mind all the aspects before deciding to blindly follow something just because it is new or what everyone else is doing.
Cloud Hosting is definitely the in thing, but it is important to make sure that you know about it in detail and only then decide to pursue it. After all, there are always some secrets about cloud hosting which may change your mind!
Author Bio : Being a passionate blogger and guest contributor for top websites like bookbuzzr, completeconnection etc. Nick is a freelance assignment help expert at GoAssignmentHelp. He also possesses an in-depth understanding of SEO and SMO.